- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
Backstory( Say: skor-thal-YAH) is a delicious appetizer for anyone who loves garlic, or wants to keep people out of their personal bubble for the next 12 hours. I didn't think it was possible, but I love this more than baba ganoush. Served with a bowl of kalamata olives, a few slices of feta, some pepperoncini and you have a fantastic appetizer platter.
NOTE: Please do not make this with a standard Potato Masher, it will become extremely gummy almost like liquid plastic.
- 1 1/2 lbs of Russet potatoes
- 10 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1 TB white wine vinegar
- 3/4 tsp Ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2 tsp Salt
- Boil potatoes with skins intact until easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from water and let cool.
- The skins can be easily removed and discarded.
- Puree garlic, vinegar and salt together.
- When potatoes are cool, put them through a food mill or a potato ricer (I prefer the ricer, I like the texture better than the food mill)
- Mix in White pepper then the Garlic puree.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- While stiring with a spatula, slowly pour in the olive oil.
- If mixture seems a little dry, add a little more olive oil.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with warmed triangles of Flat Bread (Not Pocket Pita)