- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 4 large cans of yams or sweet potatoes, drained
- 1 box of graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup of smashed praline pecans
- 1/2 bag of dried cranberries
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 1 stick butter
- 4 tablespoons of butter (for crust)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of Haitian or Madagascar Vanilla
- 2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 4 star anise.
- Melt 1 stick of butter & star anise in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add praline pecans to a ziploc bag & smash pecans to crumble.
- Once melted remove anise.
- In a separate pan on medium heat mash yams with a potato masher pour in melted butter.
- Add brown sugar, pecans, cranberries & vanilla stir until combined thoroughly. Add in cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice & nutmeg.
- In a separate square utility pan pour in graham cracker crumbs, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a microwave, then pour melted butter over crumbs mix with hands & pat down to form crust.
- Transfer yam mixture to the graham cracker pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Add marshmallows return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes at 325 degrees F to melt the marshmallows on the top, watching carefully to keep from over-browning.
NotesThis is my Paula Deen impersonation (I do believe she's trying to kill people) I make every Holiday when I could care less about my waistline & people just MOP it up as either a side or a dessert. Make your Mama's candied yams recipe CRY!