- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 113g/4oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large sticks celery, chopped
- 227ml/8fl oz stock made with Bovril or Vecon
- pinch of dried chilli
- 340g/12oz extra lean minced beef
- 1 x 397g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 4 level tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- salt and ground black pepper
- 400g cooked, wholemeal spaghetti
- 1. Put the onion, garlic, carrot, peppers, mushrooms and celery in a non-stick pan with the stock and chilli. Cover and simmer over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender. Uncover and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- 2. Add the minced beef and cook thoroughly for approximately 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato purée and oregano and season to taste. Partially cover the pan and simmer for 35 minutes, until the sauce is thick and the vegetables are tender.
- 3. Serve with hot, drained, wholemeal spaghetti.
- Tip: For a vegetarian version, use Quorn mince, or defatted soya mince instead of the beef mince.
NotesSyns per serving:
½ Syn on Extra Easy and Original* and Green**
* add 6 Syns if not using wholemeal pasta as a Healthy Extra
** add 6 Syns if not using minced beef as a Healthy Extra