Slow Cooked Sauerbraten
One 4-5 pound Rump Roast
3 carrots diced large
2 large onions quartered
3 celery stalks and leaves, diced large
2 cups Red Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoon Gravy Master (or equivalent)
1 tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoons ground ginger or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
4 bay leaves broken in half
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of whole cloves or 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
1 tablespoon of pickling spice or juniper berries
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 cups beef broth
2 cups apple juice
3 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons of potato flour or flour
2 tablespoons butter
1. Place the first 15 ingredients in a narrow deep bowl, this helps to completely surround the meat with marinade. Cover tightly and marinate for 3-6 days, turning the meat once a day.
2. Place meat and marinade in a Slow Cooker set on high and cook for 3 hours. Now sprinkle the top with 3 tablespoons of sugar, 8 tablespoons of potato flour or flour. Set the slow cooker on low and continue to cook for 5 hours or more until meat is very tender.
3. Remove the meat to a slicing board and cover with foil. Strain the marinade into a large saucepan, discard solids. If necessary thicken by reducing the mixture to a gravy consistency over a medium heat or thicken with a little cornstarch slurry. Taste and adjust seasoning. Skim off any excess fat and add 2 tablespoons butter.
4. Add potato dumplings (if using) to gravy and heat through.
5. Slice meat and serve.
Another method of cooking:
1. Use step 1 above.
2. Remove the meat from marinade, coat with flour and brown on all sides in a hot dutch oven coated with oil.
3. Add the marinade, cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours turning the meat and stirring every half hour. Now add the sugar and flour and continue to cook an additional 2 hours or more- until meat is fork tender. Again turning the meat and stirring every half hour.
4. Remove the meat to a slicing board and cover with foil. Strain the marinade, discard solids. Reduce marinade to a gravy consistency. If necessary thicken with a little cornstarch slurry. Skim fat and add 2 tablespoons butter.
5. Add potato dumplings (if using) to gravy and heat through.
6. Slice meat and serve.
. Add 2 slices of bacon to the marinade.
.Use crushed gingersnaps to thicken the gravy instead of flour
Pairs Well With
Over and over we have heard, "Rump roast makes the best Sauerbraten" and "the meat must be marinated for no less than 3 days" and "it has to be cooked very slowly." These words ring truth. There are many quick method recipes for Sauerbraten especially made with gingersnaps that are very tasty. But here we try to stick to authenticity, good Sauerbraten bears a true sour flavor not only in the gravy but in the meat itself.