SLOW COOKER BEEF AND VEGETABLE TZIMMES WEIGHT WATCHERS
- 7 oz frozen chopped onions, about 2 cups
- 3 pound raw lean beef brisket, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (boneless)
- 2 large garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 medium sweet potato(es), peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/2 pound baby carrots, cut in half if large
- 8 small uncooked new potatoes, cut in half (unpeeled)
- 1 cup Dole Pitted Prunes, or other brand
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided (from 2 small lemons)
- 5 tsp honey, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup canned beef broth
Place onion, beef, garlic, sweet potatoes, carrots, new potatoes, prunes, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon and broth; stir well.
Cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours. About 5 minutes before serving, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and remaining 2 teaspoons of honey; cover and cook on low for 5 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of solids and gravy per serving.
You can substitute dried apricots for the prunes if you prefer.
When it's not Passover, consider thickening up the gravy: spoon 1 tablespoon of flour into a cup and stir in 1/4 cup of the tzimmes liquid until the mixture is lump-free. Add the flour mixture to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. (Adding the flour does not affect the recipe’s POINTS value.)