SLOW COOKER JAMBALAYA
Slow Cooker Jambalaya
- Cooking Time: 8 hours (slow cooker)
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced, then cut into quarters
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce (or diced tomatoes, if you prefer)
- 3 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup white rice
In a slow cooker (or stove top), combine all ingredients. If you wish, you can cook recipe separately and add it at the end of cooking.
Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High.
When cooking on the stove top, simply add it with the other ingredients and cook until recipe is done.
So, as I gave away in that introduction, I will be making this recipe again. I have made it twice now, reducing the amount of tomato sauce each time, and it has been a bit with me and the family. It is a great change-up from our typical diet of pasta and sauce and brings some new, different flavors into our usual dinner menu.
This recipe has worked both in the slow cooker and in the stove top with equally good results. This allows you to easily plan ahead or make it at the last minute, whatever your needs might be.
(Posted as part of the My Word blog series, New Food -- http://douglasewelch.com/blog/category/new-food/)
Website Credit: http://www.plainchicken.com/2011/03/slow-cooker-jambalaya.html