- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a wonderful soup that will please the most gourmet tastes along with the simpler tastes of children. I substituted fresh sliced asparagus for the peas and added shitake mushrooms. I also threw in some fresh fennel leaves because I had them on hand. It is now one of my most requested company dinners.
variation... substitute corn for the green peas, and add barley.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup diced smoked turkey (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, if desired
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion in oil about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- 2. Place onion, celery, carrots, turkey, wild rice, tarragon and pepper in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Pour broth over top.
- 3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until wild rice and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 4. Mix milk and flour; stir into soup. Cover and cook about 20 minutes or until thickened.