- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup diced smoked turkey (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, if desired
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion in oil about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- 2. Place onion, celery, carrots, turkey, wild rice, tarragon and pepper in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Pour broth over top.
- 3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until wild rice and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 4. Mix milk and flour; stir into soup. Cover and cook about 20 minutes or until thickened.
NotesThis is a wonderful soup that will please the most gourmet tastes along with the simpler tastes of children. I substituted fresh sliced asparagus for the peas and added shitake mushrooms. I also threw in some fresh fennel leaves because I had them on hand. It is now one of my most requested company dinners.
variation... substitute corn for the green peas, and add barley.
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More