- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 15 whole cloves, divided
- 6 bay leaves, divided
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds sirloin tip roast, sliced in half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 12 gingerbread cookies, crumbled
- In a large re-sealable plastic bag combine 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, half of the onions, lemon, 10 cloves, 4 bay leaves, peppercorns, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Add roast. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade.
- Place roast in a slow cooker, add pepper and remaining water, vinegar, onions, cloves and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in crushed gingersnaps, cover and cook on high for 10 to 15 minutes or until gravy is thickened.
- Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield 6 persons.
NotesSauerbraten was invented by a chef of King Ludwig of Bavaria in the early 1800's when he was asked to make something of left over beef, of couse now we don't make it with left over beef anymore. The original recipe is higher in calories, fat and sodium. Here is a healthier but still delicious recipe of Sauerbraten
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
GAES PTO Recipes
Italy or BustSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More