- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 15 whole cloves, divided
- 6 bay leaves, divided
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds sirloin tip roast, sliced in half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 12 gingerbread cookies, crumbled
- In a large re-sealable plastic bag combine 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, half of the onions, lemon, 10 cloves, 4 bay leaves, peppercorns, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Add roast. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade.
- Place roast in a slow cooker, add pepper and remaining water, vinegar, onions, cloves and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in crushed gingersnaps, cover and cook on high for 10 to 15 minutes or until gravy is thickened.
- Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield 6 persons.
NotesSauerbraten was invented by a chef of King Ludwig of Bavaria in the early 1800's when he was asked to make something of left over beef, of couse now we don't make it with left over beef anymore. The original recipe is higher in calories, fat and sodium. Here is a healthier but still delicious recipe of Sauerbraten
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
mussels for one or two
Carrot Cake Bites! GF, V, SCD, Paleo!See More