- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 fresh, whole habanero pepper
- 1 pork shoulder roast, about 3 ½ pounds
- 2 dozen small corn tortillas
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- ½ head green cabbage, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- home-made refried beans
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt and chipotle powder and rub it into the pork, being sure to cover the entire surface of the meat with the mixture.
- Put the pork and pepper in a clay roaster or other deep roasting pan with a lid, place the covered roaster in the oven, and turn the heat to 275°F.
- Cook until the pork falls apart when you press it with the back of a fork, about 3 ½ to 4 hours. Remove it from the oven and let rest, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas on a medium-hot griddle, turning them frequently, until they are warmed through and soft. (Alternatively, heat them on a plate in the microwave).
- Wrap them in a tea towel and place them in a basket.
- Transfer the pork to a large serving platter and use two forks to pull it into chunks.
- Add the lime wedges to the platter, place the cilantro, cheese, cabbage, avocado and sour cream in small serving bowls, and serve immediately, with the tortillas and refried beans on the side.
- To fill the tortillas, set two, one on top of the other, on a plate, spoon some of the pork on top, squeeze a little lime juice over the pork, sprinkle some cilantro, etc on top and fold in half.
NotesWell worth the fuss!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Rainbows Of Vegan LoveSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More