- Cooking Time: 490
- Servings: 9
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 bag of split peas
- 2 bags of organic baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh organic parsley
- 1 onion, cut into large pieces
- 4-5 garlic cloves, slightly smashed
- 1 carton of Imagine brand broth ( any flavor) really and kind of
- broth I just love this brand.
- 1 tbsp cumin
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper (cayenne)
- 3 cups boiling water
- Place in your slow cooker your split peas, onion and garlic along
- with your carton of broth. Pour over your peas enough hot water to
- cover about 1 inch.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours. During last 10 minutes of cooking time
- add your spinach and parsley.
- That's it, just put in a container with a lid if your going to save
- for next day. If not, add your spices now.
- So it's the next day, right before dinner and this is what you do.
- Pour (in medium batches)- your soup into your blender and blend until
- creamy and smooth. Pour the amount you want into your large saucepan
- on the stove and now add your spices and mix around. Cook for about
- 15 minutes or until soup is hot.
- Place in soup bowls and drizzle with a good quality organic extra virgin olive oil.
NotesThis is something I make in the slow cooker then I let it sit
overnight in the fridge for the flavors to meld together.
Serving it up for dinner the next day along with crusty bread/olive oil/cheese. I came up with this recipe while trying to figure out ways to trick my son into eating his onions. You don't have to wait a day of course, use the slow cooker or blend in blender but it's really really good if you do.