- Cooking Time: 3 hours
- Servings: 9
- Preparation Time: 15
- 3 pounds ground chuck
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 small cans green chilies-chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1½ stacks of Ritz crackers-crushed to bread crumb size
- ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup of Texas BBQ Rub or your favorite BBQ Rub
- ¼ cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce-divided
- ¼ cup of liquid smoke if you are doing this in the oven
- 1 large foil loaf pan or pan approx 10x5x4
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients, except for 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce. It is best to use your hands for this, as a spoon just does not work as well. If you are going to cook this in the oven add the liquid smoke to the mixture, if you are going to cook on the pit leave out the liquid smoke. Spread evenly in the foil pan.
- Pit cooking – I like to cut about 6 slits in the side of the aluminum pan before I place the meat loaf on the pit. Cut them about half way up the sides of the pan. This will allow some smoke to enter the meat and will also allow for some of the meats juices to escape so the meat loaf is not as full of grease. Cook uncovered for about 2 hours at 225 degrees on the pit. Remove from the pit and pour the remaining 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce on top of the meatloaf and return to the pit for about 30 more minutes. Cook to an internal temperature of 175 degrees. The meatloaf should be a bit firm.
- Oven Cooking – Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Remove from oven and spread the remaining 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce on the top of the meatloaf and then return to the oven for and additional 15 minutes.
NotesThis recipe rocks when cooked on a smoker. I always get rave reviews when I make this, even from people who don't care for meat loaf.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More