- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30
- Smoked Salmon (up to 1 cup, very finely shredded)
- Bechamel Sauce (about 1 cup, make the sauce thick.)
- Spinach (1 cup steamed or 1 freezer-block style package, thawed, drained)
- Capers (3 tablespoons plus liquid, or more)
- Small Russet Potato (boiled in salted water, 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 Shallot
- Dough for 1 Pie Crust (top only)
- Egg Wash (1 egg mixed with 1 Tablespoon Water)
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Spray bottom of pie pan with no-stick spray or coat with butter.
- While cooking potato, make Bechamel Sauce (look for a basic white sauce or Bechamel recipe to make 1 cup). Add thawed drained spinach to the Bechamel sauce, stir in minced shallot to warm. When potatoes are cooked, drain and cut into 1/2 cubes. Add cubed potatoes to Bechamel sauce.
- Prepare 1 pie crust (keep in fridge until ready to use--after rolling it out, place it on plastic wrap and return to fridge.)
- Fold the shredded Smoked Salmon, Capers, and some of the liquid from the Caper jar into Bechamel. Sprinkle with salt to taste unless Bechamel recipe included salt. Sprinkle generously with freshly ground black pepper -- stir gently at this point.
- Fold Bechamel into pie pan. Cover with top crust. Decorate with extra pieces of dough cut into fish shapes if desired. Poke with a few holes. Brush with Egg Wash.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 to 30 minutes (until crust is golden brown and filing is bubbling.) Remove and let stand for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
NotesI smoked a very large salmon on my grill a few months ago and needed a way to use it up before I turned into a giant freezer-burn mess. I love the combination of capers and salmon, and wasn't sure if the spinach would work (yet another strong flavor0 but it turned out wonderful.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Coca-Cola Biscuits from Southern Biscuits Cookbook
Summer Stone Sangria
Beef & Broccoli over Hong Kong Pan Fried NoodlesSee More