SMOKED VENISON SUMMER SAUSAGE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 lbs. lean elk meat or venison
- 2 lbs. fat pork trimmings
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 10 teaspoons household salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt peter
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Sausage casings or beef middles
- 2 cups rose wine
- This recipe is calculated for 10 lbs. of sausage. Chill meat (38 degrees is perfect).
- Then grind through a 3/16 in grinder plate.
- Place in a large plastic, wood, glass, or ceramic tub or crock.
- Mix all ingredients (except sausage casings) by hand to blend spices evenly
- Chill in cooler for 2-3 days.
- Stuff into 2 3/4 x 24 in. beef middles. These are usually available from a butcher. 3 x 28 in. fibrous sausage casing may also be used.
- Make the sausages abut 1 foot long and then tie them off.
- Be sure they are not stuffed tightly.
- After stuffing, hang so they do not touch each other and dry at room temperature for 5 hours.
- Transfer the hanger to smoker or smokehouse and smoke at 145 degrees with a heavy smudge for 6-8 hours or until an internal temperature of 145 degrees is reached.
- Smoking longer (6-8 hours) will flavor the sausage more.
- When smoking is completed to your satisfaction, remove and shower with tap water until an internal temperature of 120 degrees is reached.
- Hang at room emperature in a draft free area for 2 days.
- Your house will smell as delicious as the old-time meat markets did and you will have a delicious auburn summer sausage.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Luscious Tropical Dream Cake
Ultimate Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana SplitSee More