Smokey Chicken Risotto
4-5 Chicken Thighs
1 cup (250g) long grain rice
1 medium onion
1 tsp crushed garlic (2 fresh cloves)
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (to taste)
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup warm water*
1 can chopped tomatoes
1. Cut the chicken into smallish pieces and liberally coat with smoked paprika and salt. rub into flesh.
2. brown chicken in olive oil in a large, heavy-based casserole pot.
3. add onion and garlic before chicken is thouroughly browned.
4. once chicken, onion and garlic are all coloured, add all other ingredients besides water. simmer on a low heat, stirring regularly, until all the liquid is absorbed.
5. taste. if the rice is still hard and not yet cooked, add water and continue cooking until absorbed.
*Warm Water: the water must be warm or hot when you add it to the cooking risotto to ensure the best result.
**Vegetables: You really can use whatever vegetables you like/have in the house here. I like mushrooms, spinach and green capsicum(peppers) but you could also use pumpkin, carrot, broccoli, corn, peas, beans or anything at all!
Note: the more vegetables you use the more liquid you are likely to need to thoroughly cook the rice.
Pairs Well With
This is a great one-pot dinner that cooks itself and can be made a couple of days in advance. Make sure your pot has a heavy base though, otherwise the risotto will need you to be stirring constantly for 45 mins to prevent it sticking to the bottom and burning.