- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 3 carrots, cut up
- 3 celery ribs, cut up
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/4 cups biscuit mix (prepared with chicken broth instead of the water according to the package directions)
- Heat a heavy bottomed large, wide pot or pan over high heat.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Add oil to the pan and heat.
- Add chicken and caramelize for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from pan to a shallow dish and cover loosely with
- Reduce heat to medium high.
- Add bacon to the pan and brown bacon at edges, rendering fat.
- Add carrots and celery to the pan, bay leaf and thyme.
- Stir and cook vegetables 4 minutes.
- Add flour to the pan, stir and cook another minute.
- Whisk in wine and mustard and scrape up pan drippings and burned
- Add broth.
- Cover and bring liquid to a boil, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix biscuit mix.
- Add chicken back to the pan and settle it in so that it is covered
- with sauce.
- Use salt and pepper to season according to individual tastes.
- Drop large spoonfuls of biscuit mix into the pan onto the surface of
- the stew, leaving room for the dumplings to puff up, and cover the
- Cook 8 minutes until dumplings plump.
- Serve stew with dumplings.
NotesThis is good on a cold winter's day
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Lau Family Recipes
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More