- Cooking Time: 45min
- Servings: serves 6
- Preparation Time: 45 min.
- 4 ears of fresh corn (2 cans if fresh corn not available)
- 3 carrots chopped
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 med. white onion, chopped
- 1 t. salt
- 1t. smoked paprika
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
- 2 T. flour
- 2 med. baking potatoes, chopped
- 5cups of 2% reduced fat milk
- 1 pound shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 4 cups baby arugula or other peppery greens (parsley or spinach)
- 1. Cut corn kernels from cob. Scrape cobs with knife to release milk. Set aside.
- 2. Cook bacon in large Dutch oven or deep pan. Keep grease. Remove bacon and crumble and set aside.
- 3.Add onions (garlic if desired) corn salt and peppers and sauté 10 min.
- Add flour, whisking well, cook 2 minutes. Add potatoes and milk. Cook until thick and creamy (at least 10 minutes) Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink and add arugula. Serve with crumbled bacon.
- Serves 6
- Nutritional facts per serving: 382 calories, 17g fat, 120g cholesterol, 25g protein, 33g carbohydrates, 3g fiber and 794 mg sodium.
NotesI found this recipe in the Denver Post and saved it for my Book Club and it was a great hit! Substituted Chicken for part of the pot as one person can not eat fish and that was good too. Added carrots for more veggies too.
Submitted by: "Susan A Williams"
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
mussels for one or two
Carrot Cake Bites! GF, V, SCD, Paleo!See More