- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 ears of corn, kernels cut off and cobs reserved
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- One 1/2-pound piece of ham—rind removed and reserved, ham cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using the back of a knife and working over a medium bowl, scrape the corn cobs to release any pulp and juices; reserve the cobs.
- In a medium soup pot, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 6 minutes. Add 3 cups of water, the ham rind and the corn cobs, pulp and juices and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderately low heat for 5 minutes; discard the cobs and ham rind. Add the cream and potatoes, bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the corn kernels and ham and simmer until the corn and potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls and serve.
NotesFood and Wine, April 2008
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Fit With Good Food!
Cooking with Sabra
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More