- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb eggplants
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 3-4 tbs cilantro
- Scorch the eggplants by holding them over a medium gas flame. Keep turning them until the skin is blackened on all sides. Set aside until cool, then peel off charred skin. Roughly chop the flesh.
- Combine the onion, garlic, ginger, and chili in a blender and process until chopped, but not a paste.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion mixture and cook until slightly browned. Add all the spices and salt and pepper, stir for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomato and simmer until liquid has reduced.
- Put the eggplants in the pan and mash with a wooden spoon, stirring around with the spices. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the eggplants are soft.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and season with salt to taste. Serve with naan and basmati rice.
NotesTested and unbelievable right out the gate.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More