- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryTested and unbelievable right out the gate.
- 1 lb eggplants
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 3-4 tbs cilantro
- Scorch the eggplants by holding them over a medium gas flame. Keep turning them until the skin is blackened on all sides. Set aside until cool, then peel off charred skin. Roughly chop the flesh.
- Combine the onion, garlic, ginger, and chili in a blender and process until chopped, but not a paste.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion mixture and cook until slightly browned. Add all the spices and salt and pepper, stir for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomato and simmer until liquid has reduced.
- Put the eggplants in the pan and mash with a wooden spoon, stirring around with the spices. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the eggplants are soft.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and season with salt to taste. Serve with naan and basmati rice.