SMOKY TOMATO SOUP WITH GRILLED CHEDDAR CHEESE
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2-28 oz. cans whole fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1-14.5 oz. can chicken broth (can also use vegetable broth)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 36 slices rye cocktail bread
- 1-6 oz. block cheddar cheese, cut into 2" squares
1. Heat EVOO over medium heat in a saucepan. Add onion, garlic, & thyme; cook for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, & chipotle; lower heat & simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Puree soup using a blender.
3. Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Spread unbuttered side of half of the slices with mustard; top with a slice of cheese and remaining bread, buttered side up. Grill over medium heat in a nonstick skillet or griddle until cheese melts (3-4 minutes on each side). Serve with soup.