- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 75
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 3 (1-lb) loaves frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 green, pimento-stuffed olives
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 2 (12 oz) jars roasted red and yellow peppers, in oil
- 2 cups pitted olives, black and green, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 oz arugula
- 1 lb thinly sliced prosciutto
- 3 lb fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 large red pepper, for tongue
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cover a large (12-by-18-by-2-inch) baking pan with parchment; dust lightly with cornmeal.
On a floured surface, combine all the dough and form a long, curvy snake shape; place on pan.
Push two olives into head for eyes.
Cut V-shaped scales down back. with scissors
Brush dough with oil.
Cover with plastic wrap or towels and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Bake until crust is golden, 30 to 40 minutes.
Cool in pan on rack.
Remove roasted peppers from jars, drain and set aside.
Add olive oil to oil from peppers to make 1 cup. (you may not need the whole cup)
Combine oil, celery, olives, capers and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
Slice loaf horizontally and place bottom half on tray; arrange arugula leaves on it.
Layer on prosciutto and mozzarella, top with roasted red peppers.
Spoon on celery/olive relish and replace top.
Cut a forked tongue shape from red pepper and place in "mouth".