2¾ cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoons salt
¾ cup shortening
1⅔ cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cups milk
CINNAMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1 (2 sticks) cup unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream*
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
Cinnamon-sugar, to sprinkle on top
1) Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line (2) muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners. Set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
3) In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
4) Slowly add flour mixture and milk, mixing until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!
5) Pour the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners (about 3/4 the way full).
6) Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool on wire rack before frosting.
MAKE CINNAMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
7) Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
8) Add powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, ground cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Increase to high-speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
9) Frost cupcakes using a piping bag or knife and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.