- Cooking Time: 8 to 10
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup of unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 3 cups Unbleached AP flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- For Rolling
- 1 TB Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Coriander
- 2 TB Sugar
- In a bowl; whisk together the Flour, Cream of Tartar, Soda and Salt
- As for most cookies, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy;
- Add the eggs and beat until smooth;
- Gradually incorporate the Flour mixture until smooth dough is formed.
- Wrap in 2 layers of plastic and chill for 1 hour before forming into 1 inch balls and rolling them in Cinnamon/Sugar.
- When placing them on the ungreased sheet, make sure they have enough room to spread, about 2 inches... For they WILL spread.
- Bake at 375 for 8 – 10 minutes (If you are blessed with a window in your oven, the cookies will spread, puff up in the center, then they will sink back down and turn light brown around the edge, at this point they are done)
NotesIf you do not have any cream of tartar or baking soda, you can substitute both of those ingredients with ½ tsp of salt and 3 tsp of baking powder. However, you will be able to taste the baking powder, and the ‘snap’ that the cream of tarter leaves on the back of your tongue will be missing. I have also tried using Bakers Ammonia/Ammonium Carbonate/Salt of Hartshorn. This yields a VERY crispy cookie but, you will not get the nice crackle across the tops, and again, the ‘snap’ is missing without the cream of tarter. And lets face it, while crisp is great for springerle, the ideal snickerdoodle should be crisp around the edges and not quite crisp but not chewy in the center.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
Sailstad Family Cookbook
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More