- Cooking Time: 10 minutes/batch
- Servings: 39 servings
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes + chilling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Frosting or confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Frost or dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
NotesI received this recipe years ago, when I worked at a Bed & Breakfast. I'd always put out homemade cookies for mealtimes, and these were the first to disappear.
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Breads and Breakfasts: Bakin' Without Eggs...or Dairy!
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Italian White Bean Soup
Butterscotch Hard Candy
Meringue Candy CanesSee More