- Cooking Time: 10 minutes/batch
- Servings: 39 servings
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes + chilling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Frosting or confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Frost or dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
NotesI received this recipe years ago, when I worked at a Bed & Breakfast. I'd always put out homemade cookies for mealtimes, and these were the first to disappear.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More