- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe Some Crust Bakery in Claremont, CA apparently has amazing mocha cookies. This recipe was reprinted in the Los Angeles Times Food section. They are very soft, rich and dark, and studded with chunks of chocolate. Did I mention they are rich?
I could not find instant espresso and substituted 4 1/2 T. of regular instant coffee. You can find other substitution suggestions on the internet.
Some Crust Bakery chef Jack Housen uses Guittard unsweetened and bittersweet (70%) cacao chocolate (available at Sur La Table), but you can substitute another top quality chocolate such as Scharffen Berger and Valrhona with the same percentage of cacao.
- 4 1/2 ounces (99% to 100%) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 3 T. instant espresso
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pastry flour (that's all!)
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks.
- Heat the oven to 350 Deg. In a saucepan over low heat, combine the unsweetened chocolate, bittersweet chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from the heat; do not cool completely.
- Combine the eggs, espresso, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on low speed, scraping the bowl as needed, until blended, then on high speed until the mixture becomes lighter in color and thickens (approx. 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add the melted chocolate mixture (do not cool it beforehand) and beat on medium speed until just mixed with the batter.
- Add the pastry flour, baking powder, and salt and beat at medium-low until just mixed in, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Spoon one-fourth cup batter per cookie onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Cool for a few minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely. Servings: About 20, 3 1/2-inch cookies. Each cookie: 287 calories; 4 grams protein; 34 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 19 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 54 mg. cholesterol; 51 mg. sodium