SOMETHING SPECIAL APPLE-CHERRY PIE
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled Jonathan or Golden Delicious apples
- 1/3 cup cherry preserves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries, thawed
- Prepare and roll out pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry. Trim bottom pastry 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Sprinkle toasted almonds on the bottom crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss apples with the cherry preserves. In a small bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and cardamom. Add to the apple mixture in the mixing bowl; add cherries. Gently toss the fruit to coat.
- Transfer mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Cut remaining pastry into 1/2-inch-wide strips for lattice top. Weave over filling and press into bottom pastry. Fold bottom pastry over strips; seal and crimp edge. Brush with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Cover the edge of the pie with foil to prevent over browning. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until the lattice top is golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool the pie on a wire rack.
- Makes 8 servings
NotesSomething Special Apple-Cherry Pie was named because my Granny Clouse told me I was Something Special and she was going to cook me the pie I liked best. Well I could not make up my mind for apple or cherry. I don't know why she added the almonds, but it was GREAT.