- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled Jonathan or Golden Delicious apples
- 1/3 cup cherry preserves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries, thawed
- Prepare and roll out pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry. Trim bottom pastry 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Sprinkle toasted almonds on the bottom crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss apples with the cherry preserves. In a small bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and cardamom. Add to the apple mixture in the mixing bowl; add cherries. Gently toss the fruit to coat.
- Transfer mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Cut remaining pastry into 1/2-inch-wide strips for lattice top. Weave over filling and press into bottom pastry. Fold bottom pastry over strips; seal and crimp edge. Brush with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Cover the edge of the pie with foil to prevent over browning. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until the lattice top is golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool the pie on a wire rack.
- Makes 8 servings
NotesSomething Special Apple-Cherry Pie was named because my Granny Clouse told me I was Something Special and she was going to cook me the pie I liked best. Well I could not make up my mind for apple or cherry. I don't know why she added the almonds, but it was GREAT.
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More