- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 8 c. fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and torn into bite-size pieces (about 8 oz. meat)
- 1 (15 1/4-oz.) canned corn, drained
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of one lime (about 2 T. fresh)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. hot pepper flakes or to taste
- 4 (6-8-inch) 98% fat free whole wheat flour or other tortillas, cut into 1/4 -inch strips
- Lime wedges
- 1 c. shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional additions: 1 c. cooked brown or white rice; 1/2 c. thinly sliced scallion greens; 1 large avocado, chopped; fresh roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- In a 6-qt. stock pot or Dutch oven, sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic in drizzle of olive oil just until barely tender. Add the canned chiles, chicken broth, corn, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, and chili powder. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken, and optional rice, scallions, avocado, and fresh tomatoes. Simmer for 2 minutes to heat. Veggies should all be fresh-tasting with lots of texture and not mushy.
- Serve topped with baked tortilla strips* and shredded cheese. Serve lime wedges on the side.
- *Baked tortilla strips: Slice whole wheat or other tortillas into 1/4-inch strips. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes in 350 oven until crisp.
NotesThis soup is so savory and versatile; we like it with more hot pepper flakes but add those to suit your taste. The lime and cilantro give it lots of fresh flavor, but if you don't care for cilantro just add chopped fresh parsley instead.