- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallots, diced 1/8"(not minced)
- 1/2 cup good red wine (Merlot, Cabernet, Syrah, etc...don't cook with it if you wont drink it!)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (or turkey, chicken, veal or a combination of any or all...live it up!)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup corn bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup dry grated Parmesan cheese (not shredded)
- 4 Tbsp. corn starch
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced coarsely
- 1 cup good red wine (same as above...and I say it again...don't cook with it if you wont drink it!)
- 1 qt beef broth (make it or buy it...it's OK)
- 4-6 Tbsp. corn starch
- 2 cups sour cream
- Heat 3 Tbsp. of olive oil in a 12" sauté pan over medium high heat until it just starts to smoke.
- Add the shallots and saute until slightly carmelized.
- Add 1/2 cup wine and turn down the heat to medium and cook until the liquid is almost gone.
- Allow to cool.
- While the shallots are cooling, place the meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, 4 Tbsp. of cornstarch and 1/2 cup sour cream into a large bowl and mix well (your hands work best for this, and it's more fun than a spoon).
- When the shallots are cool, add it to the bowl with everything else and mix well (your hands still work best for this, and it's still more fun than a spoon).
- Place the entire concoction into the refrigerator and let it get cold.
- When the meat is cold, take small pieces of the mixture into the palm of your hand and roll them into 1" balls.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a 6 qt. sauce pot and brown the meatballs, on at least two sides, ten at a time, remove from the oil.
- In the same sauce pot, sauté the onion and mushrooms until done (they should be slightly browned).
- Add 1 cup red wine and bring to a boil.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil again.
- Add the meatballs to the broth and reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the meatballs from the broth.
- Mix the cornstarch in just enough cold water to dissolve.
- Bring the broth back to a boil and add the cornstarch/water mixture slowly, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add the sour cream and mix until blended evenly.
- Add the meatballs back into the sauce and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice or egg noodles, a crusty bread and the rest of the red wine...(see, that is why you don't cook with it if you wont drink it...)
NotesThese bad boys are like silk...tender and tasty...oh yeah, and rich...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More