- Cooking Time: 10 mins/batch + cooking
- Servings: 4 1/2 dozen
- Preparation Time: 70 mins + chilling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpse flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt, gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the cookie dough to 1/4-in thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in heart-shaped cookie cutter (I used a variety of sizes and adjusted cooking time).
- Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting see Cookie Frosting.
NotesI saw the picture (page 164) of these cookies in 2009 Taste of Home Annual Recipes. I know this recipe was what I wanted to make for Valentines Day. The only thing, I wasn't sure if the frosting recipe that was posted with the cookie recipe would hardened. I flipped and few more pages and found the recipe that I knew would do.
The cookies are plain, not overly sweet. The frosting brings in the sweetness without being overly sugary.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More