- Cooking Time: 10 mins/batch + cooking
- Servings: 4 1/2 dozen
- Preparation Time: 70 mins + chilling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpse flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt, gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the cookie dough to 1/4-in thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in heart-shaped cookie cutter (I used a variety of sizes and adjusted cooking time).
- Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting see Cookie Frosting.
NotesI saw the picture (page 164) of these cookies in 2009 Taste of Home Annual Recipes. I know this recipe was what I wanted to make for Valentines Day. The only thing, I wasn't sure if the frosting recipe that was posted with the cookie recipe would hardened. I flipped and few more pages and found the recipe that I knew would do.
The cookies are plain, not overly sweet. The frosting brings in the sweetness without being overly sugary.
Bombshell Approved: Fast, Simple, Satisfying
MetroCooking DC 2013
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More