- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons premium cocoa powder (I love Valrhona)
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into pieces (chocolate chips work fine, I like Ghiradelli)
- 1 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Set an oven rack to the center position and preheat the to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil, and spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Allow it to bubble for about 10 seconds, then remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Let it sit for a minute or two, and then whisk until smooth. Let cool for a minute while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and eggs until smooth. Whisk in the sour cream, salt and vanilla until well-blended. Stir in the chocolate and butter mixture, then fold in the flour and cocoa mixture just until it dissappears into the batter.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake the until the brownies just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 30 minutes.
- Cool the brownies completely in the pan on a rack before cutting into squares.
NotesI've made several changes to this recipe--most notably, I left out the generous amount of walnuts that the original recipe calls for because I don't like my brownies walnutted (2 cups toasted and chopped; if you love nutty brownies, add them). I also added a bit of cocoa powder, which gives a much-needed punch of chocolate flavor, but really only works if you use a premium, rich, dark cocoa powder like Valrhona. Make these brownies a day before you want to serve them and wrap them well--the flavor and texture improve the next day. Get the full story at http://pieceofcakeblog.blogspot.com!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More