SOUR CREAM CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-2 lb Cooked chicken breasts
- 16 oz Sour Cream
- 1 lb Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 lb Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 cans Green chile enchilada sauce
- 1 small can diced green peppers
- 1 small can sliced olives
- 2 green onion stalks, diced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 Avocados, sliced
- 24 Corn Tortillas
- Dice or shred cooled chicken breast in a large bowl. Add enough sauce to coat the chicken and mix.
- Add peppers, olives, cilantro and 12 oz of sour cream. Add 3/4 of each bag of cheese and mix. Taste the filling and add salt as necessary.
- Heat remainder of the sauce in a shallow pan. Warm tortillas until soft on a griddle or extra pan. Dip each tortilla in the sauce until coated and add a couple tablespoons of the filling on top of the tortilla. Roll and place in a 13x9 baking dish. Repeat until the filling is gone, usually a couple of 13x9's.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the enchiladas.
- Bake for 20 mins @ 350 degrees or until cheese is bubbly.
- Serve 2-4 enchiladas per person garnished with a dallop of sour cream, sliced avocados and a cilantro sprig on top.
NotesI learned this recipe when I was 18 back in 1989 from a co-worker in Palm Springs. It was one of the first things I was able to cook for more than 4 people and not stress about it. I still think it needs more heat and the way you cook the chicken can make a big difference. I have tried marinating chicken in lime and chili then grilling it. I also tried frying it up with onions and jalepenos. Both came out good. If you are in a hurry, you can also buy one of those pre-cooked birds from the store and shred it.