- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 14-16
- Preparation Time:
- Coffee Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour or whole wheat flour (you can use self-rising flour but omit baking powder, baking soda and salt)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Light Brown Glaze:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350'. Grease tube pan 10x4", 12 cup bundt cake pan or 2 loaf pans 9x5x3 inches.
- Beat sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla in large mixer bowl on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, for 2 minutes
- Beat in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt alternately with sour cream on low speed.
- Prepare filling by combining the brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon
- For tube or bundt cake. spread 1/2 of the batter (about 2 cups) in pan and sprinkle with 1/3 of the filling (about 6 tablespoons); repeat 2 times.
- For loafs, spread 1/4 of the batter (about 1 1/2 cups) in each pan and sprinkle each with 1/4 of the filling (about 5 tablespoons), repeat.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool slightly; remove from pan (s). Cool 10 minutes; make Light Brown Glaze while cooling as follows:
- Heat butter in 1 1/2 quart saucepan over medium heat until delicate brown. (be patient and watchful because once it happens it happens quickly. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until glaze is smooth and of desired consistency.
- Immediately drizzle over the cake, before the glaze has a chance to harden, which happens quickly.
NotesI have a Betty Crocker Cookbook that I got about 20 yrs ago. I was thumbing through the bread section (a section that has received very little attention) and came across Sour Cream Coffee Cake. Its pretty darn good!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More