- Cooking Time: 50 to 60
- Preparation Time:
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the streusel:
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined.
- Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
- For the streusel:
- Place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble.
- Mix in the walnuts, if desired.
- Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate.
- Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny.
- Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knife
Mom's Cooking Secrets
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
GINGERBREAD(LAURA INGALLS WILDER)
Boneless Roast Turkey Breast With Blueberry Salsa
Perfect Easter HamSee More