- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 96
- Preparation Time: 60
- Day 1 (I do this late in the evening before I go to bed)
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 9 cups high gluten bread flour
- Day 2 (I do this first thing in the morning)
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1 TBS yeast
- 4 tsp salt (do not add salt Day 1 in impedes the sourdough)
- 4 cups more flour (sometimes I use white and sometimes I use wheat pastry flour)
- Day 1
- Mix it up to a loose dough consistency and cover and let set overnight or until it doubles in size.
- Day 2
- Mix up (I use a Bosch mixer, so I do my kneading right in that for about 10 min.) Knead for 10 min. then shape into loaves. This makes 4 loaves.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.
- To get a crackly top, it calls to spray the walls and top of the oven with water through out the baking, I have had some success with this, but am a bit lazy and gave up after the first few tries. It just didn't seem worth it.
NotesI really wanted sourdough bread like Panera, and although I found their recipe online, I could not make it come out quite right because I did not have the time nor the inclination to try to make their starter (which is very involved and a bit complicated) when I had a perfectly good starter already. I think I tweaked recipes for about a month before I finally got as close as I am going to get. It is not perfect but it is delicious. The overnight ri
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Oatmeal-cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chicken with Roasted Lemon & Rosemary SauceSee More