- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine or quick active dry yeast
- 4 cups lukewarm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or Better for Bread bread flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large glass bowl. Stir in flour and sugar. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until smooth. Cover loosely; let stand at room temperature about 1 week or until mixture is bubbly and has a sour aroma. Transfer to 2-quart or larger nonmetal bowl with tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make Sourdough Starter at least 1 week before making bread. Stir cold starter; measure cold starter, and let stand until room temperature (starter will expand as it warms up).
- Care of Sourdough Starter: Use Sourdough Starter once a week or stir in 1 teaspoon sugar. After using starter, replenish it by stirring in 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup water and 1 teaspoon sugar until smooth. Cover loosely; let stand in warm place at least 1 day until bubbly. Cover tightly; refrigerate until ready to use.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More