- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 9 ounces (about 1 cup) "ripe" whole wheat starter
- 5 ounces (1 cup) flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus a little for the pan
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, mix together the starter, flour and milk along with one-half cup water until smooth. Let stand 30 minutes while you melt the butter and prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk the melted butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and baking soda together until smooth, then stir the mixture into the bowl with the starter. Blend only until combined.
- Heat a skillet or cast-iron pan over medium heat and add a nub of butter. Pour in about one-fourth cup of batter, and cook until bubbles form on the surface of the pancake, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and cook until the bottom of the pancake is slightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Repeat, adding more butter to the pan if necessary. Serve immediately.
- Each pancake: 103 calories; 3 grams protein; 17 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 3 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 33 mg. cholesterol; 251 mg. sodium
NotesFrom LA Times 1/30/2008
Recipe: Whole wheat sourdough pancakes
January 30, 2008
About 15 pancakes
Note: This recipe calls for "ripe" starter -- starter that has been fed the night before (see recipe for whole wheat starter).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More