- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 9 ounces (about 1 cup) "ripe" whole wheat starter
- 5 ounces (1 cup) flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus a little for the pan
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, mix together the starter, flour and milk along with one-half cup water until smooth. Let stand 30 minutes while you melt the butter and prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk the melted butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and baking soda together until smooth, then stir the mixture into the bowl with the starter. Blend only until combined.
- Heat a skillet or cast-iron pan over medium heat and add a nub of butter. Pour in about one-fourth cup of batter, and cook until bubbles form on the surface of the pancake, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and cook until the bottom of the pancake is slightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Repeat, adding more butter to the pan if necessary. Serve immediately.
- Each pancake: 103 calories; 3 grams protein; 17 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 3 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 33 mg. cholesterol; 251 mg. sodium
NotesFrom LA Times 1/30/2008
Recipe: Whole wheat sourdough pancakes
January 30, 2008
About 15 pancakes
Note: This recipe calls for "ripe" starter -- starter that has been fed the night before (see recipe for whole wheat starter).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More