- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion -- chopped
- 1 medium hot pepper -- whole
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt -- to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper -- to taste
- 6 slices smoked bacon -- chopped
- 1 medium ham bones
- Cover the beans with water and soak overnight. Drain. Heat the oil in a large pot, add the onions, bacon and seasonings and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the ham bone,water, peas, and seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook about one hour, until the beans are creamy and tender. Add additional water if necessary. Check seasonings. May be served over rice as a main course, as a side dish, or thinned with ham stock and served as a soup.
NotesI thought I would add this recipe since it is a Southern New Years Day dish in Georgia.
C'mon a my house! (Metric and American measurements for most recipes)
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Zesty Taco Stew with Cheddar-Stuffed Cornbread Dumplings
Fried OystersSee More