- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- Small hen, cooked, (seperate the meat from the bones and skin), reserve 3 cups broth
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped finely
- 2 stalks celery, chopped finely
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1-/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp oil
- In a large dutch oven, combine chicken, broth, onions, celery, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Return to a boil. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour into the cold water. Stir into the chicken mixture. Continue to cook until the broth thickens. Prepare dumplings and place onto top of chicken.
- Prepare dumplings: Combine flour, parsley, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt. Whisk together the milk and oil. Pour into flour mixture and stir with fork until mixed.
- Drop large spoonfuls of dumpling mixtures into the top of the chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- At the end of 10 minutes, remove lid and check dumplings for doneness (dumplings are done when toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.) Serve with cornbread.