- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- Small hen, cooked, (seperate the meat from the bones and skin), reserve 3 cups broth
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped finely
- 2 stalks celery, chopped finely
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1-/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp oil
- In a large dutch oven, combine chicken, broth, onions, celery, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Return to a boil. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour into the cold water. Stir into the chicken mixture. Continue to cook until the broth thickens. Prepare dumplings and place onto top of chicken.
- Prepare dumplings: Combine flour, parsley, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt. Whisk together the milk and oil. Pour into flour mixture and stir with fork until mixed.
- Drop large spoonfuls of dumpling mixtures into the top of the chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- At the end of 10 minutes, remove lid and check dumplings for doneness (dumplings are done when toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.) Serve with cornbread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Simple Homemade Favorites
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
My Family CookbookSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More