SOUTHERN CORN BREAD DRESSING
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time:
- * 8 cup cubed corn bread or packaged corn bread stuffing mix
- * 4 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- * 2 item medium-size onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- * 3 item medium-size celery ribs, chopped fine or sliced
- * 1 item small green bell pepper, seeded, diced
- * 1 item small red or orange bell pepper, diced
- * 1 tablespoon rubbed (dry crumbled) sage
- * 2 teaspoon dried thyme or
- * 2 tablespoon fresh Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- * 1-2 cup defatted turkey or chicken broth, depending on desired moistness
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place corn bread in large bowl.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add
- onions, celery and both bell peppers. Cook, stirring,
- until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Add to corn
- bread. Toss until well combined. Stir in broth until
- stuffing is lightly moist but not packed together. Turn
- into a large, shallow buttered baking dish. Bake,
- uncovered, until top is crusty and dressing is heated
- through, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.
- Use olive oil instead of a stick (or two) of butter to sauté seasonings, such as onion, celery, bell pepper and mushrooms. Choose canned low-fat chicken or turkey broth to moisten the dressing. Bake in a casserole dish or pan instead of inside the bird so it doesn’t absorb the melting turkey fat. Drop 101 calories per serving.