SOUTHERN CORNBREAD SALAD
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 1 package of Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 small can of chopped green chiles
- Prepare as directed on back of box but add 1 can of chiles. Let cool completely and set aside.
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce, cleaned and cut up
- 1 can of pinto beans drained and rinsed, patted dry
- 1 can of corn drained well and I put on paper towel to absorb extra moisture
- 1 package of Hidden Valley dressing original
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of hellmans mayonnaise
- 1 cup of diced green pepper
- 1 cup of diced tomato
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
First thing make your cornbread and set it aside to cool. Then make your dressing with the Hidden Valley and use the sour cream and mayonnaise. Use fat reduced if you want. Mix well and set it aside. Drain the corn and the beans and put them on paper towels to drain well. Chop your lettuce and the pepper and tomato. I am not a fan of bagged grated cheese, it is dry. I grate my own and have this ready too. To assemble: Tear small hunks of cornbread and place in bowl. Small amount of lettuce. Then a small layer of beans then corn. The half of the dressing. Then sprinkle half of the green pepper and tomatoes. Repeat one more time and add cheese on top. Refrigerate well for at least a couple of hours covered. NOTE: I dont use all the corn.