- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat, or vegetable oil or shortening
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place bacon fat (or fat of choice) into a 9" cast iron skillet (usually square, but round works, too).
- Put pan into oven to heat.
- Blend dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients and add to dry.
- Mix until just combined -- a few lumps are okay.
- Remove hot pan from oven and pour in batter. It should sizzle.
- Bake until golden brown (approximately 15-20 minutes).
NotesThis is true Southern cornbread, no sugar or flour included. If you live north of the the Mason-Dixon (or if you didn't grow up on it), you probably won't like it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Watt's Cooking in PA?See More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More