- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat, or vegetable oil or shortening
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place bacon fat (or fat of choice) into a 9" cast iron skillet (usually square, but round works, too).
- Put pan into oven to heat.
- Blend dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients and add to dry.
- Mix until just combined -- a few lumps are okay.
- Remove hot pan from oven and pour in batter. It should sizzle.
- Bake until golden brown (approximately 15-20 minutes).
NotesThis is true Southern cornbread, no sugar or flour included. If you live north of the the Mason-Dixon (or if you didn't grow up on it), you probably won't like it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MidLife Road Trip's
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More