- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces (2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 4 breast)
- 4 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Season-All salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Season-All salt
- vegetable oil or shortening (for frying)
- Soak chicken in water and salt at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Mix buttermilk, eggs and Season All and dip chicken pieces in this mixture.
- Combine 1 cup flour, 2 tbsp corn meal, 2 tsp dried oregano, and 2 tsp Season All in a bag.
- Drop two pieces of dipped chicken in the bag at one time.
- Shake to coat. Place on wire rack to rest.
- Heat a shallow layer of oil or shortening to 360 F in a jumbo chicken skillet (cast iron is great for this job) or an electric skillet.
- Place the chicken in the pan, trying not to crowd the pieces. Cover for the first five minutes. Check the chicken. When golden brown, turn. Cover for the next five minutes.
- Remove cover and cook uncovered, turning occasionally, as needed for a total of an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Watch carefully, and don't allow it to get too dark. If it's frying too fast, reduce heat slightly.
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Molten Chocolate Walnut Cupcakes
Rabiole Soup (white turnip)
Stamp you passport ~> Portuguese HamburgersSee More