- Cooking Time: 14
- Preparation Time: 10
- ◾2 lbs cut-up chicken
- Sauce mixture
- ◾4 eggs
- ◾1/3 cup water
- ◾1 cup hot sauce ( I use Frank’s Hot Sauce)
- Seasoning blend
- ◾1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ◾1 1/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- Dredging mixture
- ◾2 cups all-purpose flour
- ◾1 tablespoon baking powder
- ◾1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.Heat lard in a large deep pot to 350°F (do not fill more than half full–you don’t want a hot-oil spill-over accident!).
- 2.For sauce mixture: in a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs with the water.
- 3.Add hot sauce and whisk together well.
- 4.Pour this mixture into a large plastic zip-top bag.
- 5.For seasoning mixture: In a small bowl, combine salt, freshly ground black pepper.
- 6.For dredging mixture: In a another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 7.Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces with a paper towel.
- 8.Cut breast pieces in half across ribs.
- 9.Sprinkle chicken generously on both sides with seasoning blend.
- 10.Drop a few chicken pieces of chicken into bag of sauce mixture and squish around
- to coat thoroughly.
- 11.One piece at a time, roll chicken in flour mixture and drop into hot oil.
- 12.Don’t crowd chicken pieces–I cook about half the chicken at a time.
- 13.Fry chicken until brown and crisp.
- 14.Drain on paper towel.
- 15.Dark meat will take about 14 minutes, white meat about 10 minutes.
- 16.Remember smaller pieces cook faster than the larger ones.
- 17.You can check for doneness by piercing to the bone in the thickest part with a fork.
- 18.If the juices run clear, it is done.
NotesThe best fried chicken I’ve ever made. Not at all spicy, just perfectly seasoned. This recipe was an instant hit, hope you give it a try!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Home cookingSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More