- Cooking Time: 40min
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10-20min
- Olive Oil
- 1 Chicken cut up
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 lg Red Onion, sliced thin
- 2c Cider Vinegar
- 1c Chicken Stock
- 1c Honey
- Serve with:
- Greens (mixed, w/plenty of Nutmeg) & Smashed Sweet Potatoes w/a little Clove & Ginger
- Heat oil in lg Dutch oven for browning chicken.
- Salt & pepper chicken; brown evenly in oil.
- Once browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Sauté onions in same oil til tender and carmelized.
- Add cider to deglaze pan, scraping up bits from bottom.
- Add stock and honey, stir well to blend, and reduce by about a 1/4 or so to marry flavors and slightly thicken.
- Add chicken back to pan and cover tightly.
- Lower heat and simmer 35-40min, til chicken is done and very tender, falling off bone, and sauce is reduced and flavorful.
- Serve over smashed sweet potatoes- either steam or boil til tender, scrape meat out from skin and smash w/fork w/plenty of butter, and dash of ground cloves and ginger.
- A good side is braised down greens- beet & chard are very pretty- stewing in stock and/or water w/plenty of onion and garlic, a dash of cider vinegar and sprinkling of salt, pepper and nutmeg, while chicken is cooking.
NotesNOT a Chinese dish- this is plain old southern soul food fare but it is tasty and has an international flair! Serve it for a dinner party and guests will think it so exotic, but it's so simple.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More