- Cooking Time: 40min
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10-20min
- Olive Oil
- 1 Chicken cut up
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 lg Red Onion, sliced thin
- 2c Cider Vinegar
- 1c Chicken Stock
- 1c Honey
- Serve with:
- Greens (mixed, w/plenty of Nutmeg) & Smashed Sweet Potatoes w/a little Clove & Ginger
- Heat oil in lg Dutch oven for browning chicken.
- Salt & pepper chicken; brown evenly in oil.
- Once browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Sauté onions in same oil til tender and carmelized.
- Add cider to deglaze pan, scraping up bits from bottom.
- Add stock and honey, stir well to blend, and reduce by about a 1/4 or so to marry flavors and slightly thicken.
- Add chicken back to pan and cover tightly.
- Lower heat and simmer 35-40min, til chicken is done and very tender, falling off bone, and sauce is reduced and flavorful.
- Serve over smashed sweet potatoes- either steam or boil til tender, scrape meat out from skin and smash w/fork w/plenty of butter, and dash of ground cloves and ginger.
- A good side is braised down greens- beet & chard are very pretty- stewing in stock and/or water w/plenty of onion and garlic, a dash of cider vinegar and sprinkling of salt, pepper and nutmeg, while chicken is cooking.
NotesNOT a Chinese dish- this is plain old southern soul food fare but it is tasty and has an international flair! Serve it for a dinner party and guests will think it so exotic, but it's so simple.
Cooking with Sabra
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More