- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 60 minutes
- 1/2 c. diced turnips
- 1/2 c. diced rutabagas
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1/3 c. chopped carrots
- 1/3 c. cauliflower buds
- 1/2 c. chopped broccoli
- 1/3 c. halved Brussels sprouts
- 1/3 c. chopped tomato
- 1/4 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 c. chopped summer squash (zucchini, crookneck or scalloped)
- 1/4 c. chopped mustard greens or spinach (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. each: oregano, basil, garlic powder
- 1 tsp. grated cheese (optional)
- 8 c. water (or part tomato juice or broth)
- Bring about 2 c. water to a boil in the bottom of the soup pot and add the root vegetables - turnips, rutabagas, onion and carrots.
- Cook for a few minutes, adding more water as required to keep the vegetables almost covered; cook until partially done.
- Add the other vegetables to the soup pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil; turn down heat to a simmer.
- Add oregano, basil and garlic powder; continue cooking until vegetables are just tender.
- Add cheese when done.
- Be sure to watch the water and add more if a thinner soup is desired.
- Note: The spices are just a suggestion. I also added salt and pepper and whatever my little heart desires at the moment. Be sure to taste!
- Sometimes I add chopped potatoes and sometimes I'll add some pasta.
NotesI threw this all in a pot one night when it was cold and I wanted something warm but substantial. These were all the pieces of fresh veggies I had in the fridge.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More