- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 60 minutes
- 1/2 c. diced turnips
- 1/2 c. diced rutabagas
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1/3 c. chopped carrots
- 1/3 c. cauliflower buds
- 1/2 c. chopped broccoli
- 1/3 c. halved Brussels sprouts
- 1/3 c. chopped tomato
- 1/4 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 c. chopped summer squash (zucchini, crookneck or scalloped)
- 1/4 c. chopped mustard greens or spinach (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. each: oregano, basil, garlic powder
- 1 tsp. grated cheese (optional)
- 8 c. water (or part tomato juice or broth)
- Bring about 2 c. water to a boil in the bottom of the soup pot and add the root vegetables - turnips, rutabagas, onion and carrots.
- Cook for a few minutes, adding more water as required to keep the vegetables almost covered; cook until partially done.
- Add the other vegetables to the soup pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil; turn down heat to a simmer.
- Add oregano, basil and garlic powder; continue cooking until vegetables are just tender.
- Add cheese when done.
- Be sure to watch the water and add more if a thinner soup is desired.
- Note: The spices are just a suggestion. I also added salt and pepper and whatever my little heart desires at the moment. Be sure to taste!
- Sometimes I add chopped potatoes and sometimes I'll add some pasta.
NotesI threw this all in a pot one night when it was cold and I wanted something warm but substantial. These were all the pieces of fresh veggies I had in the fridge.