- Cooking Time: about 25 minutes
- Preparation Time: about 15 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. chopped green pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. salt*
- 1 cup corn chips*
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese*
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink and drain.
- Add beans, tomatoes, rice, water, green pepper, and seasonings; mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with corn chips and cheese; cover and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
NotesI found this recipe on Allrecipes, and it was submitted by Becky Paxton of Afton, Iowa. This skillet dinner will definately keep you warm on a cold Fall or Winter day. The only changes I made was that instead of 1/2 tsp. of salt, I used ground cumin; and I didn't actually measure out the corn chips and cheese; I used about 3 handfuls of crushed corn chips, and about 1 heaping handful of cheese. I also used extra tomatoes. But other than those minor things, everything's the same.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More