- Cooking Time: 3-4hrs
- Servings: 6-10
- Preparation Time: 1 day
- 1lb mixed Beans- I used Black, Red, Kidney, Canellini, Garbanzo and Pinto; soaked in 2qts water overnight and picked over
- 2qts +/- water
- Salt & Pepper
- Bay Leaf
- 1/2lb ground Beef/Pork/Veal- your choice or combo of
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 ear fresh Corn, cut from cob
- 2pkgs Old El Paso Taco Seasoning (or your favorite)
- 1lb+/- cooked white Rice (you can do this ahead of time or use leftover)
- Cheddar Cheese, shreds- for garnish
- * Add soaked beans and water in large pot; salt & pepper and add bay leaf.
- * Bring to boil, then cover, turn heat to low and simmer 3-4hrs til tender.
- * Meanwhile, as beans approach being done, begin browning meat in a little olive oil.
- * Add onion, pepper and garlic as meat begins to brown, and cook meat thru til no longer pink and onion is translucent, pepper tender. Drain off excess fat if desired.
- * Add Seasoning packets per directions; generally you add approx 1/4-1/3c water along w/seasoning.
- * Add corn kernals; cook per packet directions til sauce from seasoning packets thickens slightly and flavors are absorbing.
- * Add entire skillet of seasoned meat and corn to cooking beans; season again w/salt & pepper to taste.
- * Cover again and continue simmering til beans and corn are tender.
- * Serve over rice. Sprinkle a little shredded sharp cheddar over individual servings as a garnish.
NotesI call it Southwestern because someone gave me a metric crap-ton (not really, but a LOT) of packets of Old El Paso taco seasoning, so I've been getting creative in using them. We all know I am a HUGE fan of beans n rice of all shapes, colors and sizes. This is the Old El Paso taco seasong packet version of such... and it was GUUUUUUUUD.