- Cooking Time: 3-4hrs
- Servings: 6-10
- Preparation Time: 1 day
- 1lb mixed Beans- I used Black, Red, Kidney, Canellini, Garbanzo and Pinto; soaked in 2qts water overnight and picked over
- 2qts +/- water
- Salt & Pepper
- Bay Leaf
- 1/2lb ground Beef/Pork/Veal- your choice or combo of
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 ear fresh Corn, cut from cob
- 2pkgs Old El Paso Taco Seasoning (or your favorite)
- 1lb+/- cooked white Rice (you can do this ahead of time or use leftover)
- Cheddar Cheese, shreds- for garnish
- * Add soaked beans and water in large pot; salt & pepper and add bay leaf.
- * Bring to boil, then cover, turn heat to low and simmer 3-4hrs til tender.
- * Meanwhile, as beans approach being done, begin browning meat in a little olive oil.
- * Add onion, pepper and garlic as meat begins to brown, and cook meat thru til no longer pink and onion is translucent, pepper tender. Drain off excess fat if desired.
- * Add Seasoning packets per directions; generally you add approx 1/4-1/3c water along w/seasoning.
- * Add corn kernals; cook per packet directions til sauce from seasoning packets thickens slightly and flavors are absorbing.
- * Add entire skillet of seasoned meat and corn to cooking beans; season again w/salt & pepper to taste.
- * Cover again and continue simmering til beans and corn are tender.
- * Serve over rice. Sprinkle a little shredded sharp cheddar over individual servings as a garnish.
NotesI call it Southwestern because someone gave me a metric crap-ton (not really, but a LOT) of packets of Old El Paso taco seasoning, so I've been getting creative in using them. We all know I am a HUGE fan of beans n rice of all shapes, colors and sizes. This is the Old El Paso taco seasong packet version of such... and it was GUUUUUUUUD.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More