SOUTHWESTERN BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
Southwestern Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 9
- 4 cups water
- 4 reduced-sodium chicken bouillon cubes or vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
In a large saucepan, combine the water, bouillon cubes, vegetables, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Combine the flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add the salsa; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 143 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.