- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup white rice (I used Minute Rice and it worked perfect)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced, (I used red bell pepper)
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced, optional
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh corn
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Pace salsa or picante sauce (I used chunky salsa)
- 1 1/2 ts. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 T. oil
- 1 cup of Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (I used a little more)
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, heat the oil and add the diced onion, minced garlic and the chicken pieces and stir around until chicken is beginning to turn white. Add the chili powder, cumin, corn, diced peppers and salt and pepper. Stir in the chicken broth and the salsa. Next add the rice, but don't stir.
- Put lid on pan and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove lid and add black beans to mixture in the pan and stir. After adding the beans, sprinkle 1 cup of Monterrey Jack cheese over the rice and cover pan with lid and let set another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro or chopped green onions and sour cream if desired.
- NOTE: This is a mildly flavored dish. For more heat/spice, use hot peppers like jalapeno, more garlic and maybe a spicier salsa.
NotesThis dish is crazy good! I'm always on the lookout for new recipes that have black beans and a southwestern flair and this one is the best yet! Perfect! I had a bag of Trader Joe's frozen white corn and it was great in this dish! I left out the carrots since my family and I aren't carrot fans and you'll never miss them! We topped ours with some sour cream and I think topping it with some more salsa would be good too! Just for time saving, I used the already cut, southwestern flavored chicken found near the hot dogs and ham in the grocery store and I used 3 (6 ounce) boxes! Recipe from Lynda's Recipe Box Blog!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Driscoll's Berry DessertsSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More