SOUTHWESTERN CORN & SWEET POTATO SOUP
Southwestern Corn & Sweet Potato Soup
- Southwestern Corn & Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 c. finely chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 small fresh chile (I used a mild one), seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 c. vegetable stock
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 med. sweet potato, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 c. fresh corn kernels (I cooked six stalks for three minutes to get about 3 c. of kernels)
- salt to taste
- lime wedges
- finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Chop up your veggies.
In a covered soup pot, simmer onions, garlic, chile, and salt in 1 c. of vegetable stock for about 10 min., or until the onions are soft. Add cumin and cook two more minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and the remaining stock and cook about 10 minutes, or until sweet potatoes have softened. Add the bell pepper and simmer for five minutes. Add the corn and simmer, covered, for an additional five minutes.
Puree about half the soup in a blender and add it back in to the pot.
Serve with lime wedges to squeeze into the soup in individual servings; the lime really makes the meal! I didn’t have cilantro on hand, but the recipe also suggests using that as a garnish.