SOUTHWESTERN CORN CHOWDER (DAIRY FREE)
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2-4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb frozen sweet white corn, thawed and drained
- 2 medium white potatoes (about 1 lb total), cubed
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and bell pepper until the garlic just turns golden brown. Add the corn, white potatoes, and seasonings, and sauté further until the corn and potatoes are slightly browned. Add the chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove half of the potatoes, peppers, and corn to a bowl, leaving the broth in the pot as much as possible, and use an immersion blender to puree the remaining soup in the pot. Return the reserved potatoes and corn to the pot and bring the soup back to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Serve hot.
- Add ½ cup of cream or half and half just before serving for a creamier soup.
- If desired, sprinkle some cheddar on top or add a dollop of sour cream as a garnish.
- For a dinner soup, add ½ lb of cubed cooked chicken when the potatoes
- and corn are added.
- This is a tasty corn chowder with a southwestern kick. The recipe is an original of mine.
NotesThis is a tasty corn chowder with a southwestern kick. The recipe is an original of mine.
Add ½ cup of cream or half and half just before serving for a creamier soup.
If desired, sprinkle some cheddar on top or add a dollop of sour cream as a garnish.
For a dinner soup, add ½ lb of cubed cooked chicken when the potatoes
and corn are added.